I am Chris Carrier, one of the coaches of the Nanaimo Ebbtides, our Masters swimming program. Our swimmers put incredible efforts into their training and our results from the 2023 Canadian Masters swimming championships in Calgary, Alberta May 25-28 are a testament to their efforts and hard work.
We had 8 swimmers attend the meet: Ian Burvill , Melanie Buggey, Kalrene Clapham, Shelley Johannesson, Anna Pendergast, Christina Pendergast, Carrie Turunen and Alethea West. There were over 89 clubs in attendance from all over Canada. Our women placed 8th overall for team points based on their performances and placings. That is an incredible result for 8 swimmers! Our lone male swimmer held his own for team scores placing his solo men's team in the top 40. Overall, our club combined for a 15th place finish in team scores.
Highlights are too many to name, but include:
- Christina Pendergast winning the 200 m breast stroke event with a new BC record in the 44-49 age group and a time of 2:56.53. Christina finished with three first place finishes, three second place finishes, and three third place finishes to accompany her new BC record.
- Alethea West, who won three gold, three silver and a bronze medal in her age group.
- Ian Burvill won four gold, one silver and a bronze medal as the lone male competitor from Nanaimo.
- Anna Pendergast won two gold, two silver and two bronze medals.
- Melanie Buggey won three gold and two silver medals.
- Karlene Clapham won a gold and placed in the top 5 in several races.
- Shelley Johannesson won a gold and placed in the top 5 in all her events.
- Carrie Turunen won a gold and placed in the top 5 in several of her events.
The Ebbtides are a Masters swim program offering both recreational and elite swim training for adults aged 19+. We finish off this season with Provincials in Kamloops in June, but will restart our program
early in September. Registration can be done online at https://www.ebbtides.ca/ beginning in mid-August.