Who can join?
Do you love swimming lengths and know you would probably swim further, faster, better and more often if you swam with a group? Do you know how to swim freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke, and butterfly - maybe not as well as you would like, but you've got the basics? Then the Nanaimo Ebbtides Swim Club has a lane waiting for you!
We all remember feeling a little rusty and out of shape when we first started. It's surprising how quickly a little stroke correction, some friendly teamwork, and consistent practice can change how we view ourselves as swimmers. If you aren’t sure if this club is for you, come watch us swim in the pool for a session so you can judge for yourself. Our workouts are broken up into swim sets ranging from 25 metres to 400 metres with drills, gear, and ideas to focus on. To give you an idea, here are the approximate distances we swim in an hour:
- Lane 1 about 1600-2200 metres/hour (this is not continuous swimming!)
- Lanes 2 and 3 about 2200-2800 metres/hour
- Lanes 4 and 5 about 2800-3200 metres/hour
Don't be fooled! Swimming with the "Masters" simply means you are 19 years of age or older. Many of us are much, much older and still not masters in the art of swimming! But we keep coming back for more!
What you get?
- Our experienced coaching staff put together custom workouts
- Members receive a discount card for the Swim & Fitness shop at the NAC (please ask for the card if you didn't receive it at the start of the year)
- Members can borrow Swim DVD's for improving their swim technique
- Club swimming lanes focus on friendly, fun, and encouraging camaraderie
- Once or twice a year we put together an order for club gear (suits, caps, etc.)
- Ebbtides silicone swim caps are always available for purchase ($15)
If you are new to the club, we have a cap waiting for you when you register for your first season!
When do we start?
Our 2022/23 swim season began at the Kin Outdoor Pool in Bowen Park We moved back into the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre Monday, September 26 to start our regular October to May season.
Registration for RETURNING members opened August 15 and for NEW members, August 22, 2022. As of August 30, our sessions are currently at capacity. You are still welcome to apply to have your name added to our waitlist. Swimmers' circumstances may change and if other rental groups drop a lane, we may be able to add another lane. Waitlisted individuals will receive an email reply and an invitation to join as soon as a space becomes available.